"Your silence will not save you." - Audre Lourde

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Good News, at last...

I recently had some good news. I had applied for a scholarship (which I didn't get) and then I applied to three schools (I heard from one of them, and I didn't get in.) I was feeling disappointed, and assumed I wouldn't get in anywhere. I was thinking of alternate opportunites for next year. What would I do? Where would I go?
I needed to get a Master's as quickly as possible so my girlfriend and I can immigrate to Canada if she doesn't get the diversity visa (once again, this visa is open to people from certain countries, and it is a “lottery” system, so I am trying not to hope too hard that she wins..especially since with all the craziness right now in America over immigration, it will probably be the last year it is available.)

So, my good news is that just as I was about to give up hope, I WAS ACCEPTED TO MY #1 CHOICE SCHOOL!!! I am so happy. I still can't believe it. Since I am in the Peace Corps, my mom scanned the acceptance letter into the computer and emailed me. She likes to surprise me (my family is BIG on surprises) so the email said something to make me think the letter was negative. I opened it, and actually read it three times before realized it wasn't a rejection letter, but an acceptance!! Crazy! So I am going to study Peace Studies at the best university in the world for Peace Studies, the University of Bradford…

Now, if I could only get my girlfriend into America…..

No comments: